Friday, August 2, 2013
Amazing Craigslist Chinoiserie Find & Giveaway Winner
I hope that Linda from Calling It Home, the Queen of Craigslist, is not reading this, but I have never done Craigslist. Ever. It has honestly never appealed to me. The idea of hopping into my car, cash in hand, and traipsing to some God forsaken spot where who knows what I will encounter does not sound like my idea of shopping fun.
Then yesterday I received an email from a follower and interior designer who found these Chinese Chippendale chairs for $20 a piece on Craigslist and turned them into this!
This may have changed my mind about Craigslist. But frankly, I have read too may articles on the dangers of Craigslist to be tempted. Here are common Craigslist safety tips -
1. Don't go to the person's home or allow anyone in your home.
2. Never disclose your home address.
3. Use only a cell phone, not your home phone, so that your address can't be traced back to rob you.
4. Meet in a busy public place.
5. Don't meet in a parking lot.
6. Make sure the place is well lit.
7. Meet in a busy restaurant, bank or police station. (Huh?) (Very handy for furniture especially.)
8. Bring cash. (Who carries cash?)
9. Never go alone.
10. Don't even let your husband go alone. (Mine couldn't, he'd get hopelessly lost). (But then again, he wouldn't agree to go in the first place).
11. Go in pairs.
12. Tell your family/friends where you are going. Give them the time, location, etc. (To collect your dead body, I guess).
13. Bring your cell phone.
14. Be especially careful buying or selling high value items. See if law enforcement will oversee the transaction. (Seriously?)
15. Trust your instincts.
16. Be on your guard if "Chinoiserie" is spelled Sheenwowsiree and if the "Chippendale" looks this this -
A "joke" I found about Craigslist -
Guy 1: Hey have you seen Bill around anywhere lately?
Guy 2: Nope, guess he made a deal on Craigslist.
Sorry Craigslist, this is seriously not for me. My idea of risky shopping is getting on the escalator at Bloomingdales in high heels. Sorry, Linda. ;-)
And the winner of the gorgeous Dana Gibson Pink Canton Lumbar Pillow is Dotti. Congratulations!